Stop Comparing Your Chapter 1 to Someone's Chapter 20
Most people don’t feel like failures because they actually failed. They feel like failures because they just scrolled.
I felt it last Tuesday. I was sitting at my desk, looking at a blank page, trying to figure out what to type while my coffee went cold. Behind me, my phone wouldn't stop buzzing. Another friend got their startup funded. Another creator hit one million followers on a quick video. Another guy my age bought a house.
And there I was. Chapter 1. Still trying to figure out what to write, wondering if any of this is even worth it.
1. The Trap of the Highlight Reel
Social media is basically a highlight reel. Everything is polished and filtered for likes.
We see the big book launch, but we don't see the four years of rejection emails. We see the fit body, but we don't see the early mornings when the alarm went off at five and the gym was freezing. We see the big house, but we don't see the months of stress, the debt, or the worry about paying rent.
The problem is our brain can’t see what’s happening behind the scenes. It takes their Chapter 20, puts it right next to our messy Chapter 1, and whispers a lie: You’re behind.
You aren’t behind. You’re just reading a totally different book.
2. The Cost of Running Someone Else’s Race
When I was twenty-four, I spent a whole year trying to copy everyone else.
My best friend got into real estate, so I started looking at property listings. My cousin learned how to code, so I bought an expensive online course I never finished. A YouTuber I liked made cinematic vlogs, so I wasted money on a fancy camera.
I wasn’t building a real life. I was just copying bits and pieces of other people's dreams.
I was always broke, and I hated the work. That’s when it hit me: when you compare yourself to someone else, you aren't just copying their success. You’re trying to copy their timeline. And you can't copy a timeline.
Their Chapter 20 took ten years of hard work. You can’t just skip to page 200 on day two because you're in a rush.
3. Why Chapter 1 Is Supposed to Be Messy
I used to think everyone wanted to be an expert right away. Nobody talks about being a beginner.
Chapter 1 is supposed to be messy. It’s full of bad drafts, small sales, and quiet rooms where nobody is clapping for you. It’s the awkward phase where you learn the boring basics that nobody posts online.
If you somehow skip Chapter 1, you won't know what to do in Chapter 20.
- The great doctor you look up to? Her Chapter 1 was failing chemistry tests and crying in the library.
- The successful business owner you follow? His Chapter 1 was working out of a noisy coffee shop with forty dollars in his bank account.
We all love a happy ending. But that ending is built in the boring middle part that nobody takes pictures of.
So let Chapter 1 be messy. Let it be slow. That doesn’t mean you’re failing. That’s just the cost of starting.
4. How to Close the Tab and Open Your Own Book
I’m not going to tell you to delete your apps. I tried that, and it lasted three days before I was back.
Instead, here is what actually helped me quiet the noise:
- Mute the scoreboard: Unfollow the people who make you feel small. It doesn’t mean they’re bad. It just means you’re in totally different seasons of life.
- Track your own pages: Stop asking, "Where are they now?" Ask a better question: "Where was I six months ago?" Looking at your own old work is the only comparison that matters.
- Remember the trade: Every big success came with a hidden price tag. Late nights, missed birthdays, and heavy stress. You don't actually want their whole life. You just saw the nice cover.
The Real Lesson
You will never feel good about your Chapter 1 if you spend all day hating it. And you will never reach Chapter 20 if you quit at Chapter 3.
Someone else’s success doesn’t mean you failed. It just means it's possible—for them, on their time.
My only job right now is to open my notebook and write one simple page.
So close the apps. Open your notebook. Write today’s page.
Let’s Talk About It
Who are you comparing yourself to right now? And what is one small thing you can do today for your own Chapter 1?
Drop a comment below and let's talk about it.

Comments
Post a Comment